Here is the hiking gear I've used and recommend:
- For a low boot I like Merrell. For a shoe, I like Altra Lone Peak
- 90% reflective Emergency Blanket. I would suggest carrying two.
- Zoleo Satellite Communicator. Send messages or an SOS if cell signal is not available.
- Gaia GPS app for marking waypoints you'd like to return to, recording your hikes
- Band-Aid HydroSeal are good for blisters, this is especially important for multi-day trips.
- A water filter, such as life straw or Sawyer Mini. Should you get lost in the woods, stranded overnight, or go on an extended hike, you'll want to be able to drink water safely.
- A compass, map, way to make a fire, and first aid kit.